As many of you know, I love a good DIY beauty product. I think it’s not just fun to make your own DIY face masks and DIY hair treatments, but I’ve also learned a lot of the science behind and it and why it’s so effective. It’s also always nice to know you’re creating something free of all the nasty things like parabens or phthalates.
That being said, sometimes when you create your own homemade beauty products you can be a little hard pressed to find some of the ingredients you need to make it happen. That’s why I’m super pumped about SheaMoisture’s new release, the Beauty Hack line. Beauty Hack is a line of products you can use to mix and match to create your own beauty products from moisturizer to body scrubs to face masks. This is a simple, three-step, at-home system that allows you to create your own beauty blends for the face, body, and hair. You can buy their bases, add in your preferred oil and scent, and then even add in some of your other favorite DIY beauty products. You can completely customize it to your preferences and your skin’s needs.
Let me show you how it’s done!
How to create a Beauty Hack
Start with a base
First, you choose the base of your beauty hack. Your choices are a sugar scrub, body and hair cleanser, body moisturizer, body oil, or a clay mask (Aztec bentonite clay or Moroccan rhassoul clay). These bases just have a few ingredients like 100% shea butter or safflower oil and are organic, cruelty-free, and contain NONE of the harmful ingredients like parabens, phthalates, paraffin, mineral oils, DEA, petroleum, formaldehyde, or propylene.
Add in an oil
Next, the fun and customization starts when you choose your oil booster! The choices are avocado, sunflower, macadamia, coconut, or grapeseed oil. Each has its own benefits so you can pick one to suit your skin:
- Avocado oil: Packed with vitamin E and fatty acids it’s great for soothing and smoothing the skin. It also has a humectant, which prevents the skin from drying out and helps it retain moisture.
- Sunflower Oil: Has calming and moisturizing properties. Additionally, it’s high in nutrients and antioxidants and has been found to work to fight against acne, eczema, and skin redness.
- Macadamia Oil: Is very high in monounsaturated fatty acids, including Oleic Acid (an Omega 9), making it softening to the skin and hair.
- Coconut Oil: This fast-absorbing oil works great to penetrate into your skin and hair follicles to add a punch of moisture to dry hair/skin.
- Grapeseed Oil: This oil is a non-comedogenic which, in short, means it will not clog pores. So it’s great for acne/blemish prone skin and can tighten skin and help to restore collagen.
Choose your scent
Finally, you finish with a natural fragrance. The choices from SheaMoisture are rose, frankincense and myrrh, lavender and wild orchid, lemongrass, and finally olive and green tea oils. This is mainly for your preference, I personally love the frankincense and myrrh because it’s earthy.
The best part is you can customize even further from here! You can add in some of your favorite DIY ingredients into these. For example, when I’m making a body scrub I prefer coffee grounds. So I might take the sugar scrub base, some avocado oil and frankincense and myrrh oil, and then pop in a spoonful of coffee groups.
While the Beauty Hacks line comes with handy recipe cards, the real fun is making your own creations. Mix and match scents, add different oils, you can even use one oil in two bases! Check out the recipes, and pick up your own SheaMoisture Beauty Hacks at sheamoisture.comMake your own skincare to avoid the nasty things like parabens or phthalates. Click To Tweet DIY skincare allows you to customize the product from start to finish. Click To Tweet
This post was sponsored in part by SheaMoisture. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.