I recently did some shopping for my kids’ fall/winter wardrobe. I personally try to do a general capsule wardrobe (meaning finding pieces that are versatile and mix and match with one another), focusing on basics, with then a few fun extras. I get asked a lot on best places to shop for baby and toddler clothing that is more basic and neutral so I thought I’d share some of the finds I discovered and some of my best tips for where I shop.
Some notes on where I shop and tips for shopping there
- When shopping for your toddler, still browse the baby section. Many of their tops and sweaters for babies go up to size 4T.
- The bottoms at H&M run true to size but their tops almost all run large. He wore his 9-12 month stuff from H&M until he was almost 18 months
- SHOP MY H&M TODDLER BOY PICKS for fall 2021
- SHOP MY H&M BABY PICKS for fall 2021
- Old Navy is almost always cheaper online. They often run an additional 30% off sales on their website that don’t run in stores. So my best advice is to wait until there’s a sale then stock up. They run sales all the time and you can really stock up and save during the sales.
- Runs almost always true to size
- SHOP MY OLD NAVY PICKS for fall 2021
- I pretty much only shop Cat & Jack at Target.
- Runs mostly true to size. If anything they run a TAD small sometimes so if in-between size up.
- SHOP MY TARGET TODDLER BOY PICKS for fall 2021
- SHOP MY TARGET BABY PICKS for fall 2021
- I don’t buy from Zara a ton, so I don’t have a ton of tips. But, it is a good spot for neutrals and I can usualy get tops and sweaters for $12-18. I shop it more now that Miles is is into toddler age and found less for babies.
A Few Small Shops I Like Buying From:
Baby Neutral Clothing Basics
I love sets for babies because they are just so easy. H&M has great options, especially for girls (see this set, this set, and this set). I focus on solid colors or general color schemes, so I can mix and match if I want. I also really like a lot of the sets from Cat & Jack at Target because they tend have lots of neutral options (I got this one and this one for Finley).
Sleep n Plays
I honestly get a big majority of our sleep n plays from Old Navy. I wait for a sale and I can usually get them for $8 or so and I find they have held up just as good as more expensive ones we’ve bought elsewhere. Many of the ones my son wore I was able to use for his sister, too. They do have some obnoxious graphics sometimes, but you can usually find some soilds mixed in as well as more muted patterns.
I love getting the onesies and pants at H&M because they come in value packs so it’s a great deal (I just bought this onesie set and this matching pants set. Plus, the packs generally have a coordinating color scheme and you can then buy the matching pants sets, and BAM you’ve got tons of mix and match pieces. Old Navy is also great for solid-colored legging/joggers for either gender for a super good price (these unisex ones are $5)
For girls I love the tights and legging packs from H&M. Cat & Jack from Target also usually has good packs.
Toddler Neutral Clothing Basics
(Mostly boy stuff here since I don’t have good toddler girl insights yet! But, I’m sure many of the same rules apply)
I tend to hit up H&M first because they have super simple pull-on joggers and also 3-packs and 5-packs of sweatpants and leggings – they are a great price and super easy and versatile. I also LOVE their Super Soft Skinny jeans, I usually wait for them to go on sale. Old Navy is good for just basic sweatpants and for jeans I like their Karate jeans.
Cat & Jack from Target is one of my go-to for simple tops. Their tops usually range from $5-$10 for basics so a great place to stock up. They range from solid colors to some that are a little more interesting like henleys and thermals.