Let’s face it. The hardest part about traveling isn’t waiting in line at customs, tiring airplane rides or jet lag… The hardest thing about traveling is how to pack everything you need but NOT packing everything you “need.” You following me here? That little voice in your head that keeps saying “but what if it rains? what if it’s cold? what if I meet a handsome stranger and he wants to take me to a fancy gala and I didn’t pack my ball gown? I think Jenna Marbles best explains how girls pack in her following video:
[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qiXZRFmRY]Ok, but all kidding aside, packing everything you’ll need without packing everything you own can be a daunting task. For the next 13 days I’m going to be abroad and I’ve been carefully planning what to bring so that I won’t bring EVERYTHING. I’m going to be on planes, trains and automobiles and the last thing I want is to carry around extra weight. So here is what I’ll be bringing in my makeup bag for my trip to Europe, and some tips on how to keep your makeup bag light.
1. BB Cream: These are perfect for travel. They do a handful of things at once including (usually) moisturizing, priming, protecting with SPF, and covering. I love them because they are quick and easy, and, if you choose a good one, stay on all day long. Quick, easy, and long-lasting is exactly what I want when traveling. Plus, it saves me from having to pack primer and a moisturizer with SPF. My choice: L’Oreal BB Cream, $11
2. Concealer: I really like the concealer/highlighter. Like the BB Cream they do two jobs for you, saving you space in your suitcase (and the more space I save, the more room for souvenirs, aka: wine, I’m going to France, people!) My choice: Maybelline Dream Lumi $8
3. Bronzer: Choose a matte bronzer so that you can use it to bronze and to contour. You can also use it as a eyeshadow crease color! My choice: theBalm Bahama Mama $20
4. Powder: You’ll want a powder to set your face since you’ll be be out and about all day, I prefer one that will also add some extra coverage such as the Bare Minerals. My choice: bareMinerals Original $27
5. Blush: I suggest a blush that also has some shimmer. This way you can add some highlight to your cheek while also adding blush. Are you seeing the trend? It’s all about the multi-tasking products. My choice: Be a Bomshell in Sweet Cheeks $16
6. Setting spray: I honestly couldn’t imagine traveling without my beloved setting spray. It not only sets my makeup for a day of touristy shenanigans, but I like to carry it with me and give my face a little spray mid-day to refresh. My choice: Urban Decay Setting Spray – Chill $27
7. Versatile eye palette: I’m not sure about you, but I don’t plan to do any crazy purple smokey eyes when on vacation, but I do want options. I want to be able to have a simple eye and also be able to have something a little more heavy. Look for a palette that offers a range of colors as well as a mixture of matte and shimmer. My choice: Too Faced, Naked Soft and Sexy Eye Palette $36 Too Faced also makes the Naked Basics Palette now too, which is only $27 for 6 shadows.
8. Mascara: Only one!!? Yes, only one. Pick one that you know stays on your lashes and will lengthen as well as add volume. My choice: Maybelline Falsies $8
9. Brow Kit: You don’t want to lack on you brows, a good brow is like the frame to a face. My choice: E.L.F Brow Kit $3
10. Gel Liner: I like gel because it is the most versatile of the liners. You can create a slick cat eye but you can also smudge it out, and you can apply it to your lids, water line and tight line. My choice: Mica Gel Liner in Black $35
11. Lip Butter/Stain: Ok, I admit, only one lip product seems a little crazy, and honestly I guarantee another lip product will end up in my bag… But the idea is to think about what you’ll want to wear when jet-setting about. A lip butter or lip stain is much more practical than brining your lipstick collection. My choice: Revlon Lip Butter (Cotton Candy) $9
What are you must-have travel makeup products? Comment below with your best tips to lighten your luggage.
If you have time, check my side bar for a poll, I want to hear your answers!
Follow along with me on my trip! I’ll be in France and London and will be posting on my instagram, twitter and also (wifi willing) right here on my blog. Follow along: Instagram // Twitter